Master in Sociology
Overview of the Program
Ton Duc Thang University is the center for training and mentoring the next generation of sociologists. The Department of Sociology offers program of graduate study to the Master in Sociology.
The aim of the Graduate Program in Sociology is to prepare students for scholarly and applied research and for teaching in sociology. The program combines an emphasis on competence in social theory and research methods with opportunities for the development of each student's own interest.
Sociology is increasingly receiving positive feedback from the scientific community. In fact, in most projects, research works from various fields of activity / science use the Methods of sociological research. At the same time, in order to meet the increasing social demand for human resources with specialized sociology, many positions in government agencies, socio-political organizations NGOs, business organizations, mass media, etc. In the context of Vietnam's international and regional integration, the Department of Sociology, Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities has adjusted the program, create master of applied sociology. The curriculum is based on the Master's degree program in sociology from some of the world's 100 ranked universities
1. Enrollment and Applicants
1.1 Enrollment: recruitment and examination
- Candidates are foreigners who hold a university degree;
- Candidates in Vietnam with a regular university degree issued by the Ton Duc Thang University within 12 months up to the time of admission;
- Candidates in Vietnam have good university diplomas, formal training types issued by other public universities within 12 months up to the time of admission;
- Candidates in the above categories must have a TOEIC score of 500 (or other equivalent international English certificates) or more, and within two months (24 months) of the date of submission of the application. .
- Candidates subject to above category.
- Examination subjects:
+) Basic: Marxist-Leninist philosophy
+) Background: Theory of Sociology
+) Foreign language: English
- Examination forms:
+) Basic and background subjects: Writing an Essay (180 minutes).
+) Foreign language: English language skills including listening, reading and writing skills, multiple choice tests and tests, 120 minutes of writing time and speaking skills.
Based on the regulation on enrollment and master's training (Decision 2257/2017 / QĐ-TĐT dated 01/12/2017 by Rector of Ton Duc Thang University), candidates must meet the requirements as follows:
Group 1: For those who graduated university degree in:
- Other than the above-mentioned majors /disciplines, less than10% of the total credits in sociological program different from Ton Duc Thang University undergraduate program in sociology are allowed.
Group 2: For those who graduated university degree in:
- Socio-economic disciplines:
+) Education;+) Psychology;
+) Social work;
+) Philosophy (Historical Materialism - Social Philosophy);
+) Culture Studies;
+) Or other than the above-mentioned majors / disciplines, their training program are different from Ton Duc Thang University's undergraduate program in sociology from 10 to 40% of the total credits of the sociological knowledge.
- Must have at least two years (02 years) of work experience in the field of sociology.
- Applicants in this group must have additional knowledge and must score 5.0+/10 or higher on the final examination of the following subjects (subjects included in the college transcript are not required):
+) Introduction to Sociology: 02 Credits (30 Units)
+) Theory of Sociology: 02 Credits (30 Units)
+) Social Research Methodology: 02 Credits (30 Units)
- Technology disciplines and foreign language:
+ For those who graduated in the fields of nature, engineering, foreign languages, ... must have been working for at least 2 years in agencies responsible for solving social problems.
+ Applicants in this group must learn additional knowledge and must score 5.0+/10 on the final examination of the following subjects (subjects included in the college transcript are not required):
+) Introduction to Sociology - 02 credits (30 Units s)
+) Sociological theory - 2 credits (30 Units)
+) Quantitative research method - 02 credits (30 Units)
+) Qualitative research method - 02 credits (30 Units)
+) Qualitative data processing - 02 credits (30 Units)
+) Informatics in Social Sciences - 02 credits (30 Units)
Curriculum structure (Scheduled in 3 Semesters)
- General knowledge: 13 credits
- Basic knowledge and specialized: 32 credits
+) Compulsory: 10 credits
+) Elective: 22 credits
- Master’s thesis: 15 credits
- Total: 60 credits
|Basic and specialized Sociological knowledge||32|
|SH701010||Graduate Sociological Research Methods||2||2||0|
|SH701030||Advanced Quantitative Data Analysis||3||3||0|
|SH701040||Advanced Qualitative Data Analysis||3||3||0|
|Elective (select at least 22 credits)||22/28|
|SH701050||Seminar on Applied Research||2||2||0|
|SH701060||Seminar on Gender and Society||2||2||0|
|SH701070||Seminar on Scientific Writing in Social Science||2||2||0|
|SH701080||Seminar on Social Capital||2||2||0|
|SH701090||Seminar on Tourism: Culture, Society and Enviroment||2||2||0|
|SH701100||Seminar on Social Stratification, Social Inequality and Social Mobility||2||0|
|SH701110||Seminar on Global Transformations||2||2||0|
|SH701120||Seminar on Sociological Analysis Social Problems||2||2||0|
|SH701130||Seminar on Migration and Social Integration – A Global Perspective||2||2|
|SH701140||Designing & Evaluation Project of Social Development||4||3||1|
|SH701150||Statistics in Social Sciences||2||2||0|
1 credit = 15 Units on theory or assignments
= 30 Units on presentation, discussions or practice
Duration of study
University education at TDTU is demanding, intensive, and rigorous, and thus requires a high degree of commitment themselves to at least 40 hours per week of study. Duration of study: 1.5 years: (03 semesters). The maximum periods of study: 24 months